No electricity in the foreseeable future for your computer…phone charger….tablet…fridge…micro…you are SOL. Concern your self now before it happens…it could. (You can’t even pump gas without electricity.)
The system that gets electricity to your plug…”the grid”…is sucking.
You can be involved in its fixing…you are needed…to be sure it happens.
As with much of our USA infrastructure…improvements have been mostly non-existent since their original build-out. We laid water mains under the ground 90 years ago and expect them to still hold up now…good luck with that. We built bridges 50 years ago and expect them to stay up…not happening. We built slow railroads 100 years ago…now they are so bad and slow we don’t even think about riding them…slow freight moves OK but that’s it. Many of our inter-city roads now crumble too…being 50-70 years old.
ask who the heck said hanging those here was OK. And we never think about where the electricity comes from…the grid…it creaks too.
Fortunately some (US Dept of Energy) are looking at addressing this issue…but pressure from you is the only way anything will result from meetings that are currently (no pun intended) being held.
These are functions that need to be established for a “smart grid” that we need now. The ( ) comments are ours.
- Self-healing from power disturbance events. (automatic re-routing during failures or overloads.)
- Enabling active participation by consumers in demand response. (Easy use of alternative source power.)
- Operating resiliently against physical and cyber attack. (cyber security of control systems).
- Providing power quality for 21st century needs. (This is already the 21st. century…a little late for this one.)
- Accommodating all generation and storage options. (Integration and storage of new green energy.)
- Enabling new products, services, and markets. (duh…)
- Optimizing assets and operating efficiently. (Modernizing as failures occur without shutting down to re-build.)
The National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) created the above and is where to start with your contact. Be a “Smart” person and the next time you hear someone running for national office ask them about jobs created by the establishment of a “Smart Grid”…and your life-style saved. The IEEE Smart Grid site is a good place to “Get Smart”. With “no spending…no taxes” the current political watchwords…the Smart Grid just won’t happen…nor the jobs it creates and lifestyle it allows us to maintain.
Keep in mind…private industry won’t do it as it does not add to the “bottom line”…and it cannot be done by one industry alone…one region alone…one state alone…it is a national issue…a USA issue…like a war.
AND if you enjoy this article please “Share” it above on the right column (lots of Share choices) or below.