This place… the Pinehurst Inn outside Washburn, WI…several miles east from Duluth MN. on the shore of Lake Superior …is so Eco-friendly its wonderful! Their goal is to “minimize use of natural resources while providing a magnificent green lodging guest experience”. “Hopefully, each Pinehurst Inn guest checks out with just a few more ideas of how they can enhance their own daily practices”…that’s a great approach…Casualmere® likes that.
Interestingly the main building was constructed in 1886…that’s some serious re-cycling right there! Steve & Nancy Sandstrom are the owners…her ancestor cousins owned the property since 1904 till 1984…Steve & Nancy bought it back in 1996…”Greening” it ever since.
The Inn is very close to the shore of Lake Superior and there is a marina in Washburn for boaters…this is a Kyaking adventure area with the Mainland Sea Caves nearby and the Apostle Islands are here too. There is bicycling, …and …get this… dog sledding “mushing” in the winter months with Wolfsong Adventures.
The Pinehurst Inn is a rustic… leisurely …serene …woods & lake destination that will not only re-cycle your energies but give you a total earth friendly Luxury vacation. Their breakfasts?…Pinehurst Inn is dedicated to sourcing the best local and organic ingredients for the breakfasts whenever possible. Bayfield orchards and area farms provide an opportunity to “buy local.” Fresh organic …free-range eggs are delivered weekly. Their coffee roasted right in Bayfield …freshly ground each morning. Fresh vegetables … and herbs grown in the Pinehurst gardens often make their way into breakfast.
From their web-site:
Highlights of green lodging efforts:
- Use of solar panels to heat domestic hot water in our new Garden House.
- Plans to retrofit main Inn within next two years for solar hot water heating.
- Use of energy efficient materials wherever appropriate when refurbishing existing structures or in new in building.
- Use of non-toxic cleaning products and recycling materials wherever appropriate.
- Use of organic cotton or Eco-friendly linens, towels & robes for guest rooms.
- Use of organic and/or locally grown food as much as possible.
- Energy efficient appliances (all Energy Star), lighting and other technology.
- Composting of all food and garden waste.
- Production of biodiesel from recycled restaurant oil for use in vehicles.
- Landscaping incorporating both historic and native plants.
- Complete recycling plan including providing guests with reusable stainless steel water bottles
Pinehurst Inn’s Garden House, … built in 2003 as a “green building,” … complements the main inn in design …and spirit. Garden House offers three guest rooms, each with whirlpool bath and fireplace …private decks that look out on the perennial gardens and the secluded Pikes Creek Valley.
There is also an on-site spa…the Enso Wellness Center & Day Spa …offering massage service …a sauna … facials …waxing …and more… all that wonderful Spa stuff to spoil yourself …to your own Luxury Lifestyle level!
There is a lot to do in this northern Wisconsin area, be sure to bring your Casualmere® bamboo t-shirts, golf shirts, women’s t-tops and easy soft comfortable bamboo dress for a luxurious dinner anywhere.
All Casualmere® items …including the bamboo scarves …are perfect for easy travel packing and perfect for travel wear. Our bamboo scarves are so soft they are like a “kiss on the neck”.
Below are some of the Eco-affiliations the Pinehurst Inn has established in all their earth friendly …yet luxurious efforts. So go … ENJOY
AND…if you enjoyed this article please “Share” it above on the right (lots of Share choices) or immediately below. You could “Like” this blog too …just to make us happy. Get your Casualmere® clothing too …it keeps us blogging and eating!