Hawaii …The big island in the state of Hawaii …is “old” Hawaii …and growing Hawaii. The Kilauea volcano is adding more land to the island each day …normally nothing that will interrupt your vacation though… just enhance it. There are excellent “Green” luxury resort hidden gem experiences on Hawaii you should put on your list.
The Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho’omaluhia (in pronouncing the Hawaiian language remember all vowels are pronounced) on the north Kohala coast is definitely a must see. This is an Eco-boutique hotel and spa …a peachful place set among towering evergreens and ocean breezes. Relax and unwind on 50 acres of gardens …wild groves …and ancient valley trails …with elegant accommodations in harmony with nature.
Hawaii Island Retreat is an experience in sustainable luxury travel and green living. The green living 50 acre resort practices include:
- Producing their own electricity with solar cells (photovoltaic panels) on the roof of the energy building. Aided by a windmill that feeds into the energy panel as an additional power source.
- The retreat was designed to take advantage of Kohala breezes. Cross-ventilation and ceiling fans eliminate the need for air conditioning while keeping guest rooms warm when the air outside is cool, and cool when temperatures are warm.
- The retreat is also designed to use natural lighting during the day and full-spectrum compact fluorescent for night.
- Garden pools surround the lodge, which serve as rainwater catchments from the hotel roof.
- Water conservation includes low-water toilets, special showers, and conscientious use of water throughout the hotel and spa.
- Linens are changed every fourth day unless requested by the guest to minimize daily laundry use and consumption of water, electricity, and propane gas.
- Much of the flooring throughout the retreat is Tiger wood, a farmed sustainable hardwood that does not impact native forests.
- The 50 acre property has large organic gardens and tropical fruit trees so much of the food used in the kitchen is grown resort grown.
- An active system of composting recycles organic waste back into the soil.
- Safe paper products are used …free of harmful chemicals, dyes, or perfumes.
- Reusable water bottles provided for guests, which can be refilled throughout the day at filtered water dispensers.
- Organic shampoos, conditioner, and lotions in guest bath dispensers are provided.
The “Green” boutique hotel surrounds a central courtyard overlooking the ocean. Amenities include …9 Hawaiian-style rooms & suites …garden-side dining …hardwood floor yoga studio …outdoor lawns for Hawaiian weddings or spa classes …balcony & ocean-view social areas…private library next to a fully-equipped media room.
This is an ideal luxury vacation stay to bring your bamboo T-shirts to feel great and look great in “Green” paradise surroundings. Check out Casualmere® web site and order your 100% bamboo clothing for any occasion …perfect for travel ..Casualmere®’s fine strong fibers take little suitcase space.
The resort’s Maluhia eco-spa was designed and built with nature in mind, from earth-friendly building materials to solar-heated …salt-purified …pool and hot tub. Organic products are used in spa treatments.
Check out the Hawaii Island Retreat web site for complete details, is a very nice site with lots of information for vacation planning.
AND – If you enjoyed this Casualmere-Luxe-Eco blog please “Share” it with friends and “Like” it for us. Thanks.